Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Breakdown

I think I told just about everybody I talked to that I was planning on leaving no later than Thursday of this week. That still holds true (hopefully). However, I'll be leaving for Cape Cod rather than Maine. Tomorrow morning I intend to wake up early and bike down to Brewster to meet up with my former coworker Karen. It will be my first time on the Cape and, although it won't be as hardcore of a testing ground as three weeks in New England wilderness, it's probably a smarter way to go about things. Assuming no major set-backs, I will be departing for Maine and beyond on Monday morning. And, thanks to Anahita, I'll even have a host my first night!

As promised yesterday, here's a bag-by-bag, item-by-item breakdown of all my gear:

The Handlebar Bag
This bag is easily removed from the bike, so I can take it with me pretty much everywhere I go, no matter how long, without much inconvenience. It needs to be kept light because of its position on the bike - too much weight will make balancing difficult. If all of my other gear were to spontaneously combust, I could theoretically use what's in here to rescue myself.

  • Snacks
  • charger/usb cables
  • ID/important documents
  • flashlight + headlamp (not pictured)
  • leatherman
  • prescriptions
  • camera
  • phone
  • pack towel (small)
  • winter hat
  • emergency charger
  • nail clippers
  • cue sheet + binder clips


Seat Bag
This is another small bag, attached to the seat post. I'm using it as a quick repair kit. Right now it's pretty empty... One or two things might migrate here from elsewhere.
  • Tire levers
  • 5mm allen wrench (I need a longer one than what is on the multi-tool to adjust my brake levers)
  • multi-tool
  • spare tube
  • electrical tape

Rear Pannier #1
This is the camping gear bag. It only has a few things in it, but they're important (and pretty big) things. Except on days with lots of rain, the thermarest will probably ride on the rack.
  • Sleeping bag
  • Thermarest
  • Hammock
  • 2x stakes
  • nylon rope (not pictured)


Rear Pannier #2
This is the clothing/toiletries bag. It has a lot of small things in it - all the clothes in a big plastic bag, warm clothes in a stuff sack inside that plastic bag, toiletries in their own plastic bag and a few free floating items. This is a bag that will definitely get opened every day... I'm sure I'll change how everything is packed once I've used it a few days.

  • stuff sack (for warm clothes)
  • winter gloves
  • pull over
  • long underwear
  • underarmour
  • wool socks
  • arm warmers
  • plastic bag (for all clothes)
  • 3x underwear
  • 2x in-town socks
  • pair of nylon convertible pants
  • cotton undershirt/tank-top
  • long-sleeve technical shirt
  • short-sleeve technical shirt
  • 3x biking shorts (one will be worn while riding)
  • cycling jersey (will be worn while riding, sometimes alternated with a technical shirt)
  • pair of compression shorts (not pictured)
  • rain jacket
  • pack towel (large)
  • soap
  • hand sanitizer
  • toothpaste/brush/floss/mouth wash
  • razor
  • deodorant (not pictured)
  • disinfectant wipes 


Front Pannier #1
This has a bunch of random stuff in it. Mostly things that are good to have, but don't need to be immediately accessible. A lot of this stuff will probably get moved to other bags, depending on what works best.
  • Extra tubes (4!)
  • First aid kit
  • adjustable wrench
  • ibuprofen
  • plastic bags
  • duct tape
  • toilet paper
  • super glue
  • zip-ties
  • sewing kit
  • shoe laces
  • sunscreen
  • bug repellent
  • wash cloth
  • rope (moved to camping bag)
  • disinfectant wipes (more)
Front Pannier #2
Not pictured because there's nothing in it at the moment. After I post this I'm going to go to the grocery store and load up on junk food. Loads of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, crackers, gatorade powder and other deliciousness. Perishable items will be purchased on the road.

On the Bike/Person
The rest of this stuff will end up on the bike or myself...
In the Camelbak (which I think I'm going to start off using this like it's supposed to be used - as a backpack. In a few days I'm certain it'll start getting strapped on to the back):
  • U-Lock (probably will end up leaving this behind for New England)
  • Pump
  • Chain lube
  • clothes pins
  • Spoke wrenches
  • Extra bolts/nuts/chain links/etc
  • 100oz water bladder.
On me:
  • gloves
  • headband
  • helmet
  • shoes
On the bike
  • water bottles
  • cycling computer
  • tarp
  • lights (2 rear lights, 1 head lamp)
  • 2x cable locks (one for the rear panniers, one probably to fill-in for U-Lock duties)
  • bungee
  • cargo net
  • watch (I didn't put it last!)
  • Cowboy hat

I think that's about everything. It will be interesting (for me, at least) to compare this "before" setup to whatever makes it back. If you've made it down here don't you think you should leave a comment?

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad the watch wasn't last. It would have felt very sad about its existence otherwise. I think it's happy to be with you now.

    ReplyDelete