Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 2: Dover to Scarborough (50 miles)

As it turns out, Bicycle Bob has had his share of adventures (including numerous bike tours and sailing across the Atlantic) and, in addition to a bed and food, provided me with a wealth of knowledge regarding touring in general and potential routes/destinations for my tour specifically. After a quick breakfast, we both prepared our bikes and headed out.


We rode together for about 10 or 15 miles, and parted ways at a DD in Maine. Thanks for the hospitality and guidance, Bob! I proceeded to toward the farm that Anahita WWOOFed at this summer, located in Kennebunk and where I figured I would spend my second night. I arrived shortly after noon, and idled by their swimming pond and conversed with Stacy, the owner of the farm. However, I had barely put in 30 miles and, as nice as throwing sticks for dogs and watching ducks waddle around fields is, I felt that I ought to put in more work for the day. So I again set off and headed north on Route 1.



I spent a good portion of the afternoon at the farm, so it was already late afternoon by the time I was back on the road. I was hoping to find somewhere to camp, but the sites I passed by Old Orchard Beach weren't particularly appealing (RV Campgrounds off the highway, beach resorts) and as I approached Portland more of the area was developed. I stopped briefly in Rodgers Ski & Sport to pick up a part I forgot (schrader/presta adapter, so I could potentially fill up tires at gas station air pumps) and see if the staff had any recommendations for accommodations. They suggested a campground about 8 miles away, a bit more inland, that would be a bit more bike friendly than Old Orchard Beach. They also gave me my adapter for free!




After getting lost a few times, I finally arrived at the campground. It was, regrettably, an RV Campground, but I was assigned a site without neighbors and had access to shower, water, and electricity... so I guess there's not too much I can complain about (except for, perhaps, the fee). In the above two pictures you can see my camp set-up to be used for the first time. It was hot and the sky was clear, so I removed the hammock's rain-fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment