Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 4: Pemaquid Point to Camden State Park (60 miles)

There was a small leak somewhere (I think due to how I set up my hammock rather than there being an actual leak) that allowed water to find my face every now and then. However, it was an intermittent disturbance and the storm passed without much fuss. 



I hung around in my hammock until the rain had mostly stopped, which wasn't much later than 8am. After breaking camp, I rode down to the lighthouse to watch the waves when the sun was out.


After the last night's spectacular showing, it was rather disappointing returning in the morning. My mood was slightly dampened by a $2 entry fee (I opted to view from outside the park instead), but there were also considerably more people and the ocean was subdued. 


It's a pretty neat spot, regardless...



Anticipating that I might start a little later to let the storm pass, my route for the day wasn't terribly ambitious. I took the scenic route from the Pemaquid peninsula back to Rt. 1 and stopped in Rockland to picnic.


The towns of Rockport and Camden weren't too much further up the road, and my goal for the day - Camden State Park - was just past them. I arrived early enough that I had time to take a quick hike up Mount Megunticook (in flip flops) after setting up camp.


Despite riding next to it for the past few days, this was one of the first times I really had an opportunity to see the ocean in a scenic setting. The summit also offered pleasant views of the surrounding countryside.


Later that night, after packing up for the night and crawling into bed, I forgot to bring a water bottle into my hammock with me. I tried to forget about it and fall asleep a little parched rather than go through the fuss of crawling out of sleeping bag and hammock, but finally capitulated to my thirst. Upon leaving the confines of my hammock, I was treated to the most abundantly starry sky I had seen since moving East. I tried to take a picture, but it looked like the camera went off in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment